Sunday, 27 November 2011

Starting Points

After reading the Rosalind Krauss essay and understanding slightly more about the origins and history of sculpture I was instructed to create a sculpture for the next studio meet. The sculpture would have to have an idea or theme behind it which I would need to justify and needed to reference the Krauss essay.

Although this appeared as a daunting task which I was not quite sure how to approach, I began to try and come up with ideas for what my sculpture could comprise of. Finally I managed to gain inspiration from a poster that I had in my room. The poster shows a scene from a street in Paris. The Eiffel Tower is at the end of the street and the streets edge out from this, focusing our attention of the Tower. What struck me about the poster were the architecture of the street. The intricate windows repeated themselves again and again down the street and I think I liked the composition of these repeated geometric shapes. 

I decided that I would use window shapes cut out of cardboard that would hang behind each other, all different shapes and sizes, in order to recreate this feeling of the Parisian architecture that appeared so intricate and beautiful in my poster.

****

After hanging my piece and receiving studio crit I realised that I had been inspired by the inspiration of space (through overlapping windows). The desire for the viewer to look through the shapes demonstrated to me that perhaps I should focus on this idea of repeating lines and the contrast between openness and closure.

During the next week I decided that I would look more closely into the idea of the window, and through investigating the artist Richard Wilson, I could see about extending the window of the actual gallery and therefore controlling the viewer's view. I would also look more into the idea and concept of perspective and the vanishing point.

No comments:

Post a Comment